Low-3130

Professor Alhussein Abouzeid

Course Homepage

About the course

Syllabus

Schedule

List of Suggested Projects

Administrative Information:

Instructor’s tentative Office Hours: Tuesday 2:00-3:00 pm or by appointment. When my office hours need to be rescheduled, it will be posted online and on office door; whenever possible, I will announce the change in class the week before.

Instructor’s Contact Information: abouzeid@ecse.rpi.edu, JEC6038. Please do not rely on voicemail messages (518) 276-6534. Even if you do, send me an email as well—it is the easiest way you can reach me.

Administrative support: Ms. Melissa Reardon, JEC6049, melissa@ecserpi.edu, (518) 276-6313.

Theme:

Understand the fundamental, non-intuitive, aspects of the performance and design choices for emerging wireless networks, with a topical interest on mobile ad-hoc networks and large-scale sensor networks. We will focus on Medium Access Control, Routing and data aggregation and Transport layer design.

Not focus of this course: Examples of issues that could be of importance but are not covered in this course are the detailed systems issues (e.g. how long a specific packet header is in a specific protocol implementation), physical layer design (modulation and demodulation schemes, equalization, coding, etc.), application layer development (e.g. Java, sockets, etc.). [1]

Course Dynamics/Format:

There is no textbook. We will focus on recent (2001-2003) papers from conferences (e.g. MobiCom, MobiHoc, Infocom, etc.) and journals (IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Wireless Networks, etc.).

You will sometimes need to learn some background material from a suggested chapter in a text-book, depending on the paper we will be covering. I will mention this as needed.

We will cover approximately 20 papers (around 1 paper a week). The syllabus can be classified to three parts; Medium Access Control, Routing and Transport. The background to understand the details of each paper will be mentioned in class, sometimes I will give a short overview for advanced techniques.

There will be a simulation or mathematical assignment (or both) every approximately two weeks, two mid-terms and an in-class final exam.

Pre-requisites:

Mathematical maturity is expected, as is typical of any PhD student who passed a DQE exam with math or communications as major areas. Probability (e.g. ECSE4500) is REQUIRED. Stochastic processes, information theory and optimization algorithms (e.g. linear programming) concepts preferred.

Student Responsibilities:

I. Assignments constitute 30% of the grade. They will be of two types:

·         Mathematical in nature. These constitute the majority of the assignments. For example, we will study in class certain mathematical models, and an assignment may introduce an alternative model or a small change in the studied model, then ask you to solve it. Mathematical maturity is expected.

·         Some simulation based assignments (most of the code will be provided, and the student is expected to design the experiments in order to address the specific problem Note: this is not a course about coding, and the objective is not to test how good you are in writing code. However, programming literacy is expected.

Assignments and their due dates will be posted on the class web-page (listed in the header above). Assignment solutions will be also posted after the due date. You are encouraged to discuss (but not copy the solutions of) assignments. Late assignments will not be accepted.

II. Exams:

·         Two in-class mid-term exams, each constituting 20% of the grade. Exams will rely on material covered in-class. An example practice mid-term will be posted so that you would know what to expect.

·         The dates of the exams will be posted on the class web-page. The final exam date is schedule by the registrar.

·         You are required to work alone on in-class exams.

III. Project:

·         A Project accounts for 30% of the grade.

And finally, the standard well known note; Any incident of academic dishonesty (e.g. copying assignment solutions from others, cheating during in-class exams, etc.) will severely penalized, to the extent of an F in the class. The determination of the severity is at the discretion of the instructor. Please refer to Rensselaer Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities if you really want to get more details on this. If in doubt, please ask the instructor.

============

[1] You may want to consult the course catalog for courses that do cover those issues (e.g. Experimental Networking, Network Programming, Digital Communication, etc.).