Latest Projects


Items of interest...

Work progressing this week...


Previous work...

Previous events...


June events

Datapath Chip Registerfile Modifications

The registerfile used within the datapath chip was never modified as the testchip registerfile had been. The two cells are essentially the same but the datapath version has a few additional features to make it appear to be a dual-port memory.

The original registerfile was modified to reduce parasitic capacitances within the circuit. Initially, the process we were using had only two-levels of metallization available which made routing signals somewhat complicated. When the process was modified to include a third level of metallization, we were able to redesign the circuit and reroute many signals. Another benefit was that capacitance between the first and third levels of metallization was significantly lesser than that of a metal 1 / metal 2 crossover. Finally, the third level of metal could be routed over devices, allowing us to produce more compact layouts.

Carry-chain Modifications

In order to improve the speed of the Datapath carry-chain, I optimized the layout of the circuit and extracted a SPICE netlist for simulation. We removed a level-shifter from the input of the carry-chain and left the output on level 2.


July events

Datapath Wiring Modifications

After the power rails and pad ring were modified to reduce chip area, the standard cell areas were moved around a bit to squeeze them closer together. In addition, I went through the standard cell areas and cleaned up unnecessary crossovers produced by cutter.

Datapath Chip Power Rail Modifications

In order to reduce the size of the chip and improve bypass capacitance, the power-rail scheme was redesigned (mainly by Sam Steidl). Metal 2 and metal 3 were placed vertically to improve bypass capacitance and reduce chip area. The pad ring was then reduced.


Other work:
Please send comments and suggestions to: campbell@unix.cie.rpi.edu