Control, Robotics, and Automation is a vibrant research area in ECSE. Faculty and researchers in this area are conducting multi-disciplinary cutting-edge research focusing on high impact applications and fundamental methodologies.
Applications: ECSE research in this area is motivated by compelling needs, including human-robot systems, advanced manufacturing, cyber-physical systems, autonomous systems, power systems, thermal management, biological systems, human health, micro-robotics, materials processing.
Methodologies: Research in this area is grounded in fundamental methodologies in complex large-scale systems, network science, formal methods, computer vision, cognitive engineering, machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI).
Multidisciplinary: Control, robotics, and automation is inherently multidisciplinary. ECSE faculty collaborate with researchers in mechanical engineering, industrial and systems engineering, computer science, and cognitive science to develop broad perspective and innovative solutions.
Sample Projects (supported by NSF, ARO, ONR, NASA, DOE, industry, and foundations):
- Power systems and devices:
- Advanced Manufacturing: sensor-guided segmented composites panel assembly https://john-wen.com/research/projects/robotic-assistant-for-composites-manufacturing
- Space Robot: robotic satellite refueling
- Assistive Robot: robotic assistance of disabled users for activities of daily livings https://john-wen.com/research/projects/assistive-robotics-robot-assistant-mobility-challenged-individuals
- using microorganisms to power or act as microrobots
- Social robotics:
- Systems Analysis and Control in Cyber-Physical Systems:
- Trajectory-based Abstraction of Complex Hybrid Systems and Its Applications: using simulation trajectories to formally reason about systems properties such as safety, fault diagnosability, and privacy. https://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~agung/NSF1618369.html
- Formal Controller Synthesis: developing algorithms for provably correct controller for cyber-physical systems. https://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~agung/NSF1218109.html
- Thermal Management:
- Building Thermal Management: temperature and humidity control for human comfort and energy efficiency https://john-wen.com/research/projects/building-thermal-management-adaptive-and-learning-control-human-comfort-and-energy
- Vapor Compression Cycle: cooling system control under high transient heat flux https://john-wen.com/research/projects/two-phase-cooling-cooling-high-transient-heat-flux
- Human Health and Life Sciences
- Systems Biology: modeling and understanding the network structures in systems biology https://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~agung/Research.html#gene%20network
- Circadian rhythm and sleep: light-based circadian rhythm, sleep, and alertness regulation https://john-wen.com/research/projects/circadian-rhythm-and-sleep-light-based-control-circadian-rhythm
Affiliated research centers and laboratories:
Center for Automation Technologies and Systems (CATS) (http://cats.rpi.edu/)
Center for Future Energy Systems (CFES) (http://cfes.rpi.edu/)
Center for Lighting Enabled Systems and Applications (LESA) (https://lesa.rpi.edu/)
NSF/DOE Center for Ultra-Wide-Area Resilient Electric Energy Transmission Networks (CURENT ERC) (https://ecse.rpi.edu/~chowj)
Center for Materials, Devices, and Integrated Systems (cMDIS) (http://research.rpi.edu/cmdis)
Cognitive and Immersive Systems Lab (CISL) (http://cisl.rpi.edu)
Center for Initiatives in Pre-College Education (CIPCE) (http://cipce.rpi.edu)